Mahogany wood is a richly colored hardwood that is one among many valuable wood species in the world. It is a type of wood that is prized for its beauty and durability. It is often used to make high-quality furniture, as well as decorative items such as vases and figurines. It comes from the Swietenia Macrophylla trees which originate from South America and Mexico. Other mahogany species from the Swietenia Mahogani family are found in Jamaica, Cuba, and some regions of southern Florida.
Why select Mahogany wood furniture
Although mahogany trees take around 2 decades to achieve full maturity, they tend to grow up to 40-60 feet in height and have a canopy that spreads up to 50 feet. Mahogany wood makes for an excellent choice in furniture making due to a plethora of reasons.
It has a vibrant range of colors ranging from burgundy shades to cherry shades. Mahogany furniture also ages beautifully with its shades darkening as it ages. Additionally, mahogany wood has an excellent appearance due to the presence of a few knots and voids in its body which gives a smooth and even grain pattern.
What are the benefits of choosing Mahogany wood furniture
Being a hardwood, Mahogany wood does not wear out quickly and has a lifespan of more than twenty years.
Mahogany wood has a dry weight of 53 lbs/ft3 making it quite sturdy and reliable for furniture making.
With a hardness rating of 800 pound-force (lbf) on the Janka scale, Mahogany wood is highly resilient and durable. It is similar in hardness to other hardwoods like sycamore.
Mahogany wood has a straight and consistent grain with very few knots and voids much like walnut wood. This gives it excellent workability that makes sanding, machining, carving, and crafting very easy giving a refined look to furniture pieces.
Featuring a rich reddish-brown hue that darkens as it ages, Mahogany wood is very popular with homeowners and often paired with rosewood or warmer browns like walnut for a timeless aesthetic.
You can’t go wrong with Mahogany wood because it blends well with almost every interior design style. Due to its consistent fine grain, premium looks, and high sheen, Mahogany wood is a perfect choice for traditional, modern, transitional and contemporary style furniture.
It is very easy to maintain and care for and only requires a good polish occasionally.
How to take care of Mahogany wood furniture
One of the highlights of Mahogany wood is that it is extremely durable and long-lasting and easy to take care of. Here are some simple tips on how to maintain your Mahogany furniture:
- Dust regularly: Use a soft, dry cloth to dust mahogany furniture at least once a week. This will help to prevent the build-up of dirt and grime, which can damage the wood over time.
- Use coasters and placemats: To protect the wood from spills and stains, use coasters and placemats when serving food or drinks on mahogany furniture.
- Avoid placing furniture in direct sunlight: Sunlight can fade the color of mahogany wood, so try to keep your furniture out of direct sunlight or use window treatments to filter the light.
- Use a wood polish: To give your mahogany furniture a shine and help protect it from damage, use a wood polish made specifically for mahogany. Follow the instructions on the polish carefully, as using too much can leave a residue on the wood.
- Use a humidifier: If the air in your home is dry, it can cause the wood to become brittle and crack. To prevent this, use a humidifier to add moisture to the air. This will help to keep your mahogany furniture in good condition.
Overall, mahogany furniture is a good choice if you are looking for high-quality, long-lasting furniture that will add beauty and value to your home. Sierra Living Concepts is one stop solution where you can purchase this fine wood furniture.
Related Post: Everything You Need to Know About Teak Wood Furniture